The Richard Lounsbery Foundation has awarded the Deep-Sea Biology a substantial seed grant to help society build capacity in targeted areas over the next three years. With the generous gift, the society will be able to develop numerous activities including:
- Mentoring of junior scientists through special workshops and events at key conferences.
- Build a mentoring network within the deep-sea biological community with annual online and in person workshops that provide mentor/mentee training.
- Create travel fellowships that allow movement of researchers, especially students and underrepresented groups, between deep-sea biology labs.
- Expansion and refinement of the society website and online forums for deep-sea researchers.
- Develop workshops that train scientists in communication, outreach, policy, big data, and analytical methods.
- Support outreach activities of deep-sea scientists and their engagement with science communicators.
- Gain financial stability to support our major triennial meeting.
We are pleased to be partnering with the Richard Lounsbery Foundation.